Autologous red blood cell salvage is a safe, reliable, cost effective method of returning red blood cells back to patients. The autologous red cell salvage procedure maximizes patient safety, overall cost savings, and blood quality. It:
• Eliminates the risk of clerical errors during blood handling
• Minimizes costs associated with the use of allogenic blood transfusion.
• Minimizes the use of banked blood products, thereby reducing the risk for transmission of blood-borne diseases, lowering the risk of transfusion reaction, and providing and option for those with religious objections to transfusions.
• Addresses the issue of blood shortages. Blood shortages are common and will become more acute in the next few years.
• Provides red blood cells with normal 2,3 DPG levels and viability superior to preoperative autologous blood donations.